Sunday, September 6, 2015

Happy Labor Day!


     So… Once again, I have no real theme going on here, so I’m just going to ramble on, as I seem to do.


     This past week has been a busy one for me. I’ve gotten quite a bit of writing done, which is a good thing. I think I’ve been able to work more this past week than I have this year in total. Sometimes life gets in the way and keeps us from doing what we want to do. Any-who, I’m back at it.
     I’m steadily working on My Hero: The Olympian, which has proven to be a bit of a challenge. I think I’ve said before, that this book has scared the piss out of me. This was a very popular book and I’ve been afraid of disappointing. It is also huge. Sometimes these guys just don’t shut up. And if they do shut up that means they are more than likely having sex! I don’t know why I’m surprised, they did the same thing in the first book. Damn horny teenagers.
     I did have a major roadblock. There was this one part that I just couldn’t work through. There was one voice that just wasn’t talking. I was so ready to bitch slap her ass. I decided to go and work on something else until she decided to get her act together. Maybe she got indignant when I wasn’t thinking about her or something, but she finally decided to speak to me.


     One thing that has kept me writing is the weather. It has been so hot and muggy here that it just isn’t fun going outdoors. I love gardening, or as I say, playing in the dirt, but when it is so hot, it isn’t so much fun. It also rains almost every afternoon, which doesn’t make it very much fun either. I relate it as trying to walk through a wet sponge. I shouldn’t complain too much. It is much better than drought, so I’ll be thankful, even it does mean I’m hauling my big ass out to mow. I swear I could sit here and watch the damn grass grow.

     Happy Labor Day!


     This weekend is a holiday weekend here in the US. Labor Day weekend traditionally marks the end of summer. Of course it is also the weekend of a major gay holiday: Southern Decadence. I’ve not been in ten years. Not since hurricane Katrina. I wasn’t sure I could go the year afterwards. I think it would have been too painful.


     New Orleans is one of my favorite cities. The food, the culture, the history is enough to keep me satisfied. I once wandered into a small club only to see Etta James singing her heart out. The jazz clubs there are so incredible as is the food. Of course I’m going to go for the food being the total foodie that I am. Now I’m craving Étouffée.

     Southern Decadence is a celebration of gay men akin to a Gay Mardi Gras. The streets are crowded with men in costumes, almost nothing… sometimes nothing, and exposing themselves for a strand of beads. What’s not to like? It really is all about sex and the celebration of our sexuality. It is a great party. And since NOLA is one of the best party towns in the world, it really is a lot of fun. Damn it… now I’m wanting beignets! Crap.


     What else… As I may have mentioned, I’ve been trying to lose some weight, get healthier and trying to take better care of myself. (Thinking about Étouffée and beignets sure isn’t helping at the moment.) The hope is that if I drop some of this weight I’ve packed on over the past five years, will help my feet. Less pain would be nice as well as keeping my big butt out of a wheelchair that much longer.
     I don’t know about anyone else, but the minute I start dieting, I immediately want to face-plant myself in a key lime pie, or cheesecake or plate of pasta. The minute I can’t have something is when I want it the most. What is up with that? I do try and give myself a cheat day, but that doesn’t always seem to satisfy my cravings for chocolate! Grrrr. Still thinking of those damn beignets…
     It doesn’t help that I recently wrote a story based in Paris. A good portion of that story was centered around a baker who had a pastry shop. I was craving French pastry like a mad man possessed. All I wanted for days were éclairs! I think it took me two weeks to get over craving escargot. I can’t wait to get back to France!


     Earlier this week I fell off the wagon and drank a half gallon of milk in one day. That really isn’t good. I can tell it has an adverse effect on my waistline, but there are times I just crave the stuff. It is nothing for me to drink a gallon a week. Of course I could easily do three, but I really do try and resist.
     What else…
     I can’t believe it is September already. It seems this year is flying by. Before you know it, it’ll be Christmas! OMG! Help! Christmas. I’m not ready. Wait. What am I talking about? My shopping list is very, very short.
     The Toys for Tots drive is something that I participate in every year, so I’ll need to look at getting something for that. Anyone who has kids let me know what toys are hot this year. I normally get two things for girls and two things for boys.
     I also try and up the ante for Lost-n-Found for their Christmas. I always wish I could do more. It is really hard for a lot of these kids who are now away from their families, many for the first time over the holidays. What makes it worse for they know that they aren’t wanted, that they were tossed aside like yesterday’s garbage. That breaks my heart. Is it no wonder I want to do something special for those kids.
     So I guess I need to get busy and start now. Their wish list is never totally filled, and things change there so quickly there. It would be nice to be able to do something fun instead of just providing things that are needed. Does that make sense? You know something fun instead of just socks and underwear? Anyone have any ideas?
     Okay, that’s going to be it for me this week. Keep racking up those positive Karma Coins.
     Have a grrreat week, y’all.
     Max




No comments:

Post a Comment