Monday, March 28, 2016

Passing and Expectations...

     So… did everyone have a good week? Mine? Well… it was okay. I think I got a lot done. This coming week is going to be very busy for me. Gotta get ready for the Rainbow Book Fair in New York City!



     You know, there are times I have no clue what I’m going to write on here until I sit down to write it. This week, I had an inkling of an idea but it wasn’t until Friday that it started to come together, but it wasn’t until today that I actually sat down to write it.
     It was while I was taking a break from writing, and I was scrolling through FB that I saw something that caught my eye. Something that came out of the blue, gave me pause, and made me reflect for a moment. I have to admit, I was a bit startled.
     You see, it was about gay bashing and how this fellow author dealt with it. Of course, I was able to relate completely. I’m not sure that there is a gay man out there who can’t relate to it to some degree. But it wasn’t until I read a comment that made me shake my head a bit.
     Expectations…
     Frankly, I never expected things to change. I fought for change. I rallied for it, but I can honestly say, I didn’t expect it. Hell, I never thought I’d see gay marriage in my lifetime. Nope, never even considered it. I never thought that The Supreme Court would ever discuss it, much less pass it. To be honest, I think I’m still in a bit of shock over the whole thing.
Think they would have tried to gay bash this guy?
     Another thing that struck me while reading this post was that this author mentioned ‘passing for straight’. Again, something I totally get. Been there and done that. Just because it happens doesn’t mean I have to like it, but I get it. In no way would I ever put someone down for feeling that they need to do it. It is just a simple fact of life and self-preservation.

     I also have had to condition myself to be aware of my surroundings, frequent places that I know to be so public, where it would be nearly impossible to be assaulted, or I visit gay friendly establishments. I rarely sit without my back to a wall. I don’t like being out at night alone, unless it is a well-lit public place. It’s just part of life. Of course, this isn’t failsafe. Just ask the couple from Philadelphia who were accosted on a well-lighted street, in a gay-friendly section of town, by a group of young, middle class, well dressed, educated… thugs. That is the only word that comes to mind. You just never know when or where it might happen.




Convicted of gay bashing
Victims

     No, it isn’t new…
     What I noticed is that things did get a bit better, or I think they did at least, for a little while. I think it was while Bill Clinton was in office. I hope it wasn’t just my imagination, but I do think things were a little better. So why did we go backwards? What has changed?
    Of course this is just my personal opinion, my own personal views, and for sure it is nothing scientific, but things seemed to start going downhill when the Tea Party got hijacked. The right-wing radical conservatives jumped right in and took it over. When I first heard of the Tea Party, what they were saying made sense. They wanted our government to get back to work and do the job that they are paid to do. Then it changed. Really changed.
     Breaking my own rules again…
     I really try and never discuss politics or religion. I learned at a very early age that those were things that were personal and shouldn’t be discussed in public. Yeah, well, that isn’t always as easy as it sounds, and in this case, impossible. I can’t explain any of this without going there.
     So here I go…
     Again, this is only my opinion, but it seems to me that the conservative right wingers have all but waged war on anyone who isn’t Protestant white, bible thumping, anti… pretty much everything that does not conform to their very narrow views. Now, this isn’t anything new, but, and it’s a fairly big but, they now have money, a national platform and media coverage. Did I mention money? Yeah, a whole LOT of money.



     Not too long ago I was watching a television program where a news reporter called them, meaning the ultra-conservative GOP, ‘The American Taliban’. Yeah, that sums it up fairly well. If you were to compare the radical Muslims to the radical Christians, line them up side by side, you’ll see there isn’t a whole lot of difference there. Pretty scary right?
     I have personally known some wonderful people during my lifetime. That includes Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists and those who are… well neutral. I didn’t want to say they were nothing, because they are something, it’s just that I’m not smart enough to know what they are. If they are like me, I’d say they are private. My personal religion is just that: personal, and no body’s business.
     I’d like to think that there is some good in everyone. That when push comes to shove, they’ll do the right thing, but once they have become ‘radicalized’, when they are poisoned by hate, all bets are off. Hate is something that is all pervasive. It will eat your soul. Fortunately, I think that can be reversed. I do think that deep down, people are generally good. That given the opportunity, they will accept love over hate.
     What about this…
     To cure those who hate, I suggest that they be put in a room full of puppies. Who doesn’t love puppies? Puppies are cute, cuddly and just a joy to be around. They offer unconditional love and lots of sweet puppy licks. Who could resist, right?




“I sentence you to one hour, twice a day, to the puppy room for the next year. In between your puppy session, I sentence you to watch puppy movies.”




     Now, that would be the perfect sentence if you ask me.
     As a side note... is there anything sexier than a hot guy with a puppy? Nope, didn't think so. 

     Were you able to do something for someone else last week? Sure you did. I have faith in all of you. Let’s see if we can’t do something really special this coming week to make up for all the bad things that are happening all around the world.
     Have a grrreat week, y’all,
     Max 










No comments:

Post a Comment