Sunday, August 11, 2013

Where Did That Come From?


     Hey everyone, sorry for the delay on the blog. I normally post on Saturdays, but I've recently had some kind of bug that is going around and I couldn't get it going yesterday. I'll try and do better next week.

     Just for the record, doing a blog, at least for me, isn't at all easy. I struggle with trying to keep it fresh and interesting each week. Not an easy task. But wait, you’re a writer! There is a big difference in falling into my imagination and letting things go the way of hot nasty man-sex and reality, which for the most part is pretty boring on my end. 

      So I've asked around a bit and asked readers and reviews what they like to see on a blog. What I got back was a bit surprising. Readers were interested in the author and how and where the inspiration came from for a book. Well, the author part is pretty easy for me. I’m a hateful, reclusive, old, curmudgeon who tends to keep to himself. There, that was easy, HA! The second part isn't quite so easy. 

     Because Hawk ‘n’ Harley was recently nominated by Sid Love for Book of the Month (OMG, am I dreaming here?) I will use it as an example: Dan, our dedicated, geeky teacher was easy. I know this teacher. He loves his kids more than anything each and every year. He gives and gives and gives. Where most people would collapse, he finds it inside himself to still give more. If you think back and try and remember just one teacher that you had that made a difference in your life, he would fit that same mold. On top of that, he is just an all-around good guy. 

     Harley was also fairly easy. He was a combination of myself at that age and my great-nephew. Both of us were more than a little hyper and voracious readers. And just to prove to you how much of a bastard I can be… I gave the little devil a set of drums for xmas when he was four years old. Yep, pay back is a total bitch. 

      Now Hawk was a little more difficult. He was a culmination of several people. First a little bit from a guy named Mike that I lusted after as a young teen. He was a biker, blond and hunky as hell. Of course my mother looked at him like he was some kind of danger to all of mankind. As with Hawk, Mike was basically a big teddy bear. Then there was a little bit of a guy named David, who is basically Sasquatch, another short I did. That is where most of the tattoos came from and piercings. There’s a smidge of my cousin, another Mike, who adores his young son and also has that same kind of quirky sense of humor. He’s a great father. 

      I originally wrote this as an anthology piece for Ravenous Romance, but it didn't have the required menage element, so was rejected. It was suggested that I throw Red into bed with the two, but that didn't sit well with me, or them, more importantly. It just didn't fit. 

      Voices. For my fellow writers you know exactly what I’m talking about. For those who are not, I will try my best to explain it for you. I heard each and every voice clearly in my head. They told me their own story. Their individual personalities came through, loud and clear. Here’s a funny for you – I didn't even know Dan
had a hairy body until Hawk took his clothes off! And yes, they wrote their own sex scene. I just happened to be the medium on that one. 

      It was Harley who wrote the epilogue though. That was all about him. I've been asked to do a full novel of Hawk ‘n’ Harley. If they decide to talk to me again I might take on that challenge. They were a lot of fun to work with, especially Harley. He is quite the character. 

      A quick reminder: A review is like tipping your waiter. An author loves it when you comment on their work. 

      Have a great week everyone! 

      Max ;-)

     If you've not read Hawk 'n' Harley, you may get it here.
                                             Hawk 'n' Harley





No comments:

Post a Comment