Saturday, August 13, 2016

Oh the shame...


     So… I ain’t dead. That’s the big news. Woo-Hoo! Yes, I’ve been a little under the weather, which is a major understatement. I’m really not one to whine or whinge when I’m sick. Okay, I really was sick as a dog, so I think I deserve a little whine with some cheese. Yeah, pneumonia isn’t something to take lightly or play around with. It’s taken three rounds of antibiotics to get my big ass on the road to recovery, but finally, I don’t feel like I might hack up a lung at any moment. Anywho… I’m back, like it or not.
Aboriginal art is really unique. This particular artist is pretty cool. 
    You know that ol’ sayin’ about only the good die young? Yeah… well that sure as hell hasn’t happened. Please, God, Buddha, Allah or whomever is on duty today, please, please, please don’t let me be the leering old fag in a motorized wheelie-thingy chasing young men down the sidewalk. Pleeeaaasseee!
     Alrighty then, moving right along…
     As many of you know, I’ve been in Australia for quite some time. I must say I have enjoyed my time here. I’ve seen and experienced many wonderful things. There is a lot here that I have to give the Aussie’s credit for. They’ve really got one of the best medical systems that I’ve ever encountered. I may have to do a blog on just that, but it isn’t all rainbows and glitter here. Yep, if you look hard enough and long enough, you’ll see that they also have a darker side. I guess no place is perfect.
     Warning, a bit of a rant about to happen…
     While driving somewhere, I noticed that there were a lot of Salvation Army stores here. They actually call them Salvos. (I swear the Aussie’s will nickname or abbreviate just about anything.) Now, having had past experiences with the big red shield people, I had to ask if they were as rotten to the core here as they were in the States. “Oh no, they do really good work here.” I was told.
     Granted, the Salvation Army in the States do some really good work too… as long as you go along with everything that they believe and are willing to sit and listen to them preach at you.
     If you know me at all, you’ll know that I do love my research and so I set off to find out, and of course, there it was. Yep… same ol’ shit, just another continent. Oops, there I go again calling a spade a spade.
     While I was at it, I thought I’d check out how they dealt with homeless LGBT youth here. I was really glad to find out that there is help out there for kids. I found an article about how a 16 year old boy was tossed out on his ass because his folks found out he was gay. Oh, and guess what? They were religious nut-jobs. Imagine that! So sure, a young man, who is now homeless, is going to go seeking help from a religious organization, which has in the past said that all gay people should be put to death. That is how the think, although they have been raked over the coals for it in recent years. Yeah, I know they’d be the first organization I’d go to for help. NOT.
     What else did I find? Well, in New South Wales, almost 90% of all government funding to help the homeless goes to four faith-based organizations. How ‘bout them apples? Anyone seeing a pattern here besides me?
     Oh, I’m not done yet…
     Today, a report was released relating to South Australia Child and Protection services. Oh hell, it is as bad as I’ve ever heard. It was far reaching and it only took two years to complete. Talk about egg on your face. Shit, they have egg all over their damn bodies. It was shameful. Wide spread child abuse that resulted in the death of a few kids. Yes, you read that correctly, death.
     And yet it gets better still…
     In the Northern Territory they have detention centers, most of which house indigenous kids. This one made me cry. These kids have been so abused, neglected, locked away and forgotten. There is this one boy who has been there for seven years! They don’t go to school, they don’t leave the building, and there is no rehabilitation if they need it. Nothing. To me, they are treated no better than dogs. Tossed into a cell, given food and water just as if they were in a kennel.
     Everything I’ve said can be verified with very little effort. So yes, as wonderful as I think the Land of Oz is, they have some major problems just like the States. However, I have to admit, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything quite as horrendous as what happened in the Northern Territory here back in the States.
     Children did not ask to come into this world. They didn’t have a choice in the matter. I don’t care if they are white, black, pink or purple with yellow polka dots. They are just innocents, dropped onto this big spinning ball with no way to protect themselves. They rely totally on adults to do the right thing. The RIGHT THING.
     Yes, I just came down pretty heavy on the Australian government, but I’ve been just as hard on my own government. I’d come down hard on anyone who is responsible for taking care of those who can’t take care of themselves, and don’t even get me started on the abuse that is heaped upon the forgotten elderly who can no longer take care of themselves!

    Plan of action…
     Each and every one of us can make a difference. We need to hold those in charge accountable for their actions, or lack thereof. We need to pay attention and look for the signs of abuse of authority.
    I plan to redouble my efforts of getting more involved. I don’t have a lot of money, but I do try and do my little bit financially each month. I’m going to get up off my big butt and volunteer some of my time. I’m not sure what I’ll be allowed to do, but I’m going to put forth the effort and do something.

     Pay it back. Pay it forward. However you want to look at it, just do something, no matter where you live. Most of all, keep your eyes open and do what you think is best, I know I will.
     There, you have now been challenged. I know you can do it. If I can do some simple research and find a way to help, I know you can too. Get ready to receive those Karma Coins y’all!

     Sorry this was a bit of a rant, but… well I just can’t help myself sometimes. Hope everyone has a good week. And thank you all for the get well wishes and messages, which I’m still trying to respond to.
     Have a grrreat week, y’all.
     Max
     XOXO


Just because... LOL





1 comment:

  1. Thanks again Max for imparting vital knowledge. As you said .. do anything .. think outside the box .. kids don't have transportation .. try to help out. I ask every red bucket bell ringer about their help for the LGBT community .. have have no idea! I tell them to get my donation .. they have to change. Glad you have recovered so well .. but be careful .. pneumonia sulk around in a "healthy" body. Lots of rest & food (great excuse) being tired can reawaken it! Love you from Alaska 💖

    ReplyDelete