Sunday, October 2, 2016

DRUGS - Bears and Stuff


     So…a week has passed. I had a bit of set back with the broken & sprained foot this week. So I’m still on drugs. Yep, happy pills. They do tend to make me a bit spacey. Okay, more spacey than normal. Bear with me. If I make typos or don’t make sense, that’s why.
     The one thing that I’ve been able to do is just kind of mindlessly surf the net and catch up on some things. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to do this, and I do enjoy letting my mind just wonder over various things. My friend David sent me this link…

     Now the title 6 Things the Larger Gay Community Can Learn from Bears, of course that got my attention. I’ve been a member of the bear community from its early inception back in the early 90’s. I am not the typical bear type physically, but I do love a hairy guy. You know the ol’ sayin’? If you wanna catch fish you gotta go where the fish are. So… that’s exactly what I did!

     Now the author, Zachary Zane, may have stepped in it, but for the most part he got a lot of it right. Where he messed up were the photos that he/they chose. Yeah, that didn’t go over too well. Personally, I think that three of the photos were okay, but the lead photo was what I think got the guy in trouble.
     Can you guess why?...
     If you went and looked, you might have a pretty good idea… or not. I guess that depends on how much you know about the Bear Community. The first photo: Yeah, the guy is furry. Yeah, the guy is hot. And yeah, there are a few bears who look like that, but that would probably be less than one percent. ‘Muscle head’, ‘Gym Bunny’, comes to mind. Sadly, that doesn’t really fit the overall culture of Bears.

     There were a not of negative comments left, which you can see for yourself. I feel sorry for Zach, because the message was a good one and I think it got lost because of the photos. I highly recommend the read. There are some parts that I don’t agree with, but for the most part, it was spot on.
     I touched on it a bit on my monthly Blog Post for Love Bytes. There were other things in there too that you might find funny.



     What else… Damn, I had something and then lost it. I really am a space cadet today… (Two hours and several cups of coffee later)
     Finally! I remembered, I think… or not… it might be something completely different. I’m feeling sooo blonde at the moment… Anyway…
     I know that I’ve said on here before that this whole gay marriage thing would be a double edged sword, and sure enough, I now have proof of just that.
     Unfortunately, there is a dispute about the money raised for the victims and their survivors from the Pulse shooting. Florida does not recognize common law marriage and hasn’t since 1968. What does that mean? It means that the partners of those who lost their lives in the largest mass shooting in this country’s history, probably won’t see a dime of that money.

     Now, had gay marriage not been passed, they would have a better chance of getting at least some of the financial help from the money raised. That was over twenty million dollars, by the way. Now, if this had happened before they had the ability to marry, they could have argued that they didn’t have any choice other than to cohabitate together without that little piece of paper. But, once the law changed and they did have that choice and didn’t take it… they’re pretty much shit out of luck.
     Basically if they chose not to make their partnership legal by way of marriage, they get squat. Yep, there’s the back side of that sword I was talking about. I knew it was coming. The GLBT community wanted equality and they got it. There is one case that is fighting it, but I have no doubt it will be in vain. Sadly, this couple had been together for over seven years, but that doesn’t mean a thing in the eyes of the law, just like it wouldn’t if they were a straight heterosexual couple.
     I still think Gay Divorce Court would be a big hit on TV. I can just see two old queens fighting it out over china and a cute little dog.
     Um… now what?

     It’s the first of the month so I guess I need to go and see what is on the wish lists of the charities I try and support. I think I will focus on the Zebra Coalition close by this month. They don’t have much on there, but they cost a little more than the little things I normally do for Lost-n-Found. I’ll have to see.
     Don’t forget about the Smile program on Amazon! When you do your holiday shopping, you can help a worthy cause and it not cost you a thing! Grab up some of those good Karma Coins!
     Have a grrreat week, y’all.
     Max
WOOF!


No comments:

Post a Comment